What have you been up to? It’s so shiny, hot and sunny today! We declare officially open the season of the suntanning baths 😉
We longed for it during the cool winter months, and now…here we are! There are plenty of reasons why we love the sun. It boosts levels of serotonin (nature’s own Valium, proven to alleviate anxiety). Not only that but it produces vitamin D which is good for bones, teeth and skin. But to avoid premature ageing and skin cancer risks you need to take care for a safe, sun-kissed glow. Follow our 10 gold rules to make the most out of it 😉
- Keep yourself hydrated: drink water before, during, and after sun exposure. Sip some water every 15 minutes, and you won’t feel tired after a day at the pool, or at the beach.
- Use sunscreen: we’re sure you already heard about that. It’s important! Don’t forget about it.
- Take a pause every so ofter: seeking some shades after 30 minutes of sun exposure, or taking a dip into some water will help de-stress your skin from sun exposure.
- Eat sun-friendly foods: certain foods are known to increase lycopene, the skin’s own SPF. An antioxidant found in tomatoes, and other red and orange fruit and veg, it can boost your sun protection by a whopping 33%. Dark chocolate is packed with flavonoids that can help protect against sunburn, while caffeine is thought to help cut your skin cancer risk. Just take an espresso before you hit the beach.
- Understand your tanning time: your skin reaches a tanning cut-off point when it physically can’t produce any more melanin, the tanning pigment, so it’s pointless to lounge by the pool all day. Everyone has their own melanin cut-off, typically two to three hours, or much less if you have fair skin. After this you’re just subjecting your skin to the risk of UV damage.
- Avoid the central hours of the day for sun exposure: but i’m sure you already knew this 😉
- Last, but not least, enjoy your time during sunbathing! Reading, laughing, listen to music and talking with friends will enormously upgrade maybe not your tan, but how you’ll feel at the end of the day 😉
Aquavera: always with you, always on the go.